Sunday, October 7, 2012

Paint a Trick or Treat Sign

Hi Painting Friends!

There's still time to whip up
a Halloween Greeting
for your front door.




It kind of has that "old sign" look
with some bold stripes and text.

So it will be very visible
for all of your little "trick or treaters".




Start with a 16" x 26" rectangle
cut from 1/2" plywood.
Paint the back outdoor black.
Paint the front white.
Tape off the stripes
and brush the black in lightly
leaving white space on the edge.
If you want more of a worn look
lightly drybrush white over the black stripes.





I am including here a photo of the line drawing.
I don't have the download directly on my blog here,
but I think if you pin the picture
then "save as" a jpg. you can enlarge it
on your scanner or in photoshop.
Then you will have the template to trace.

If I would just set my paintbrush down long enough
to teach myself those techy things.
Someday!




Paint the Pumpkin and the lettering black....
yep, black first so it has that dark undercoat.








Then layer the orange over the top.











I also added some yellow highlight to the lettering
and painted the edges of the sign orange.
I like how you can see the layers of paint
as if it is worn with time.
So the orange over black is the vintage trick here.








Isn't October fun!
Especially as I sit here eating my
candy corn and peanuts Chex Mix.
Yum!

Here is another template:



Linking to:

Monday:        DIY Showoff
                            Craftomaniac
                            I Should be Mopping the Floor
                            Boogie Board Cottage
                            Between Naps on the Porch
                            Keeping it Simple

Tuesday:      Coastal Charm
                     Cozy Little House
                     My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
                     Elizabeth & Co.

Wednesday:   Savvy Southern Style

Thursday:     Beyond the Picket Fence
                     House of Hepworths
                     Stone Gable
                     A Delightsome Life
                     The Shabby Creek Cottage
                     Embracing Change
                     The 36th Avenue

Friday:          Redoux Interiors

Saturday;      Funky Junk Interiors
       

22 comments:

TheMoonAndMe said...

This is very cool. You make it sound so easy. :) Thanks for the tips on painting the dark part first...it makes it look like and old advertising sign. Again...very cool.
Kelly

Unknown said...

I luv the old timey look to you sign! We don't do trick or treat, but I am trying to use the idea on other things... luv the black and orange with the stripes. A nice pop of colour.
I am thinking the pumpkin (gotta have it)but with Harvest, Fall or Autumn .....
Cheers, Gee

Patty said...

This is so cute. I love it and thanks for showing us how you did it! New follower!

Christie said...

Love the sign, Deb! HUGS... and stitches

Unknown said...

Absolutely love this. I've pinned it and can't wait to try this during girl time this weekend! Found you on Should be Mopping's link up.
Jen @ CraftyMisAdventures.com

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS! It's so cute and vintage looking. Thanks for sharing your "how to". I can't wait to try this! :-)

Lisa@Pickles and Cheese said...

Yes, this is so cute and thanks for showing us how you did it! I would love to get started on making one for myself!! THANK YOU!

Deb Hrabik said...

I'm so glad you all are wanting to make one! Have fun!
Thanks for stopping and leaving your sweet comments,
Deb

Crystelle said...

You are amazing! Are you aware of how much talent you have....?????
WOW!!! I am just speechless....
It looks adorable by your front door....
LOVE the old wood look...

20 North Ora said...

Deb - Really darling sign!! It looks so cute by your door. The children will love it I'm sure!

Judy

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Super cute! You did a great job on it! I'm a new follower!!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a fun sign! Really cute!

Stacey said...

That is so stinkin' cute!
Love it!
Thanks for linking up this week to the Creative Inspirations Party!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Kathy said...

Love this - great sign - you've created a wonderful tutorial. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Unknown said...

Deb, we gave your awesome tutorial a try this weekend. We LOVE how they turned out. I did a recap and gave you some mentions on today's post.
http://www.craftymisadventures.com/2012/10/trick-or-treat-painting.html#

Jen @ Craftymisadventures.com

Larissa @ The House on Harrison said...

I love this sign. I've gotta try and make one now. :) Thanks for the tutorial!

Heidi Lisa said...

LOVE IT! can you come to my house and we'll have a painting party?

Ashley said...

I love this sign!

Rachel said...

can you tell me what font you used???

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Rachel - if you right click and save the line drawing, you can enlarge for a pattern. I hand lettered the words. It wasn't a particular font.
Happy Painting,
Deb

Unknown said...

Did you use sandpaper to run off r edges of the black stripes or a sander? I copied your sign. It's adorable.

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Erin,
I just sanded lightly by hand.
Glad you had fun making the sign!